Saturday, August 22, 2009

Intro

Much to my disappointment, the tragedy of forgetting both the username and password that was associated with my other blog has lead to my adoption of this replacement. The bright side is that instead of just letting everyone see the twisted mind of me, they get to see the mind get even twistier as medical school invades my life. Brace yourselves.

Orientation: Days 1 & 2

I have been somewhat of a nervous wreck this weekend. I'm not really the nervous type but the stomach was doing back-flips starting late Thursday night before my first orientation experience. I know what you are thinking, "how does someone get all worked up over something like a simple orientation?" I have no answers for you. I have no idea why I was nervous, just that I was. As if I half expected there to be some sort of test to fail or a moment of embarrassment that I might face. Thankfully, I was neither embarrassed or tested in any way. I was, however, challenged by the act of sitting properly for my school photo. I blame glamor shots. They always let me pose however I wanted.

I was able to make awkward conversation with several people whose names I will have to request again when I see them next for awkward conversation two. I love making friends but I hate getting to know them first. The whole process is exhausting and it makes me grateful to be married and not have to date ever again. Making friends is slow and I am somewhat impatient. The result is my preference to be really goofy, loud, and, at times, inappropriate to get those "blind date" jitters out. I throw the reserved first impression right out and display the thirtieth impression instead. I hope it worked!

We received a whole doctor's office for our parting gifts (that I paid for). It came with a stethoscope, sphygmomanometer, and other stuff that you weren't supposed to touch in the exam rooms while waiting for the doctor. Totally awesome. It felt a little like a creepy Christmas or birthday but I enjoyed it all the same.

Today was the best part; we had the white coat ceremony! That was an amazing experience that I will never forget. I felt like I had my ancestors that has come before me standing there, cheering me on to complete a dream that many of them had or fulfilled themselves. The pomp and circumstance of the affair was enough to make me smile from ear to ear as I walked down the aisle to the sounds of trumpets and loud, boisterous music. It was like we had slain a dragon, or fought a war and were returning home. The journey here was tough and the whole experience today made me reflect on how I ended up here in Kirksville. Simply put, I am convinced that I am exactly where I am supposed to be!

We had a huge picnic afterwards with all of the families and faculty. Then we split up, families to one room, students to the other. This is when orientation took an unexpected turn. It was as much a celebration for the second year class as it is for the first year class. The second year class ran the show, and by show I mean an actual show. From the opening song/skit to the 15 minute presentation on the tradition of the Osteo-stache, a mustache that is grown between the first and second years of med school. It is a right of passage and I will have to keep with tradition. Sorry, Ash.

We played "get-to-know-you" games and those are usually so awkward but I enjoyed them, thankfully. The second year class was super cool and they made it fun for all of us noobs.

I'm a great mix of excited and nervous after today but one thing has developed that I can rely on for the next four years, I am sure, with all that I know, that I am supposed to be a doctor and that I am supposed to be here in Kirksville to learn to be one. Type at ya soon, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment