Saturday, September 12, 2009

Week 3: Bone Crackin', Test Takin', Tennis Watchin'

Well then, week 3 was a week of historic proportions. Before this week, I had never watched the US Open while studying Biochemistry. I had never used a chisel that you could buy at home depot on a dead person's vertebral column. Most importantly, I had never taken a test in medical school.

I passed my first test! I really did not study for the Biochemistry test as I would have liked to. It seems that the more conceptual something is, the better I can test on it. The more abstract and mathematical the course material is, I have difficulty finding the concepts to make it clear WHY I am doing the math. Biochem walks a fine line for me. It is, in my opinion, very applicable to physiology among other important courses that I will take. So the WHY for me is easy. What challenges me is the rote memorization of amino acyl residues and their chemical structures (all 20 naturally occurring ones) and the somewhat disjointed concepts tied into this first test. With all of that, I decided to try something new. I did what most people would consider "concept mapping". I figure, if there isn't a clear concept, I'll make one up. Turns out, I didn't have to study as much as I thought I did! I will make a recommendation to everyone that is currently in a challenging course for school or in a nursing/law program (Nate, Mike). MAP THE CONCEPTS IN YOUR COURSES BEFORE A TEST OR QUIZ!!! If you go to class, your brain might have been listening while you were chatting on instant messenger with me. Map out concepts of material for the test, making that spiderweb-looking thing with interconnected ideas and you will be surprised how quickly you can isolate the areas that you need to study more and the areas that you know really well. TRIAGE!! It saves a massive amount of study time. I ended up with a less-than-wonderful 85% on my test, but the ice has been broken and a "B" ain't bad!

I had dissection TWICE this week! I absolutely love that time of my week. The only real let down was that we were planning on using the power saw to cut open the vertebral column this week, but upon inspection, the cuts had been made by what were referred to as the "lab gremlins." After I had scoured the lab, looking for the said gremlins while holding a scalpel, I returned to my deceased patient and we were handed chisels. Yeah, chisels. It was a little wild to hammer and chisel at the vertebrae like that but the carpenter in me absolutely loved it! I stepped back and oversaw the procedure after a bit of chiseling, I was the designated leader that day so I quizzed everyone on what we were seeing. Our goal was the spinal cord, which now is my favorite part that we have dissected. It was frightening/awe-inspiring to see the somewhat fragile thing that makes all the difference in our lives. The amount of connective tissue, protective tissue, and white and gray matter that separates a walking, breathing individual from a ventilated quadriplegic is not much more than the thickness of surgical tubing. The nervous system is beautiful. I'm excited for head and neck next quarter!

First anatomy test is on Monday. That brings me to my medical student realization of the week. Medical school is a lot of work. It is not just a lot of material to cover and a lot of difficult concepts that require a lot of time studying. It is a lot of meetings, orientation, activities, surveys, assignments, labs, service, balancing, and...fun. I pause to say "fun" because it is amazing how the "fun" somehow consistently/daily emerges as the phoenix from the ashes. I have joined the medical Spanish club, the surgical club, the intramural tennis league, the intramural softball team, and I just submitted my letter of intent to run for class vice president! I also get to give a talk on gratitude on Sunday in church. So where do Ashley and Bostyn fit it? They are literally and metaphorically the mortar in between the bricks of my schedule. I can't imagine a better break from it all than to come home to kisses from two beautiful girls. But the BALANCE is the real challenge of medical school. Ash and Bostyn are doing great and are being very good about letting me throw myself at school. Ash said she can tell that I am finally where I should be. I can't tell you how awesome it is to be able to give 100% in study, effort, and attention and know that I get back 100% of what will make me a more successful doctor. Not just studying to "pass" or to get an "A" but to study to be a great doctor and to better help my friends, family, and other's friends and families.

Med School is Awesome! GO ROGER FEDERER IN THE FINAL ON MONDAY!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment